Saturday, September 13, 2014

Wrapping up our graphing unit

"I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand."

Yesterday we took our first math test to wrap up our unit on graphing.  In this unit we practiced using picture graphs, tally charts, and bar graphs.  We used these graphs to sort, show, and compare data.  After practicing with each type of graph the scholars had their most meaningful graphing experience when they worked in teams to design their own question, survey their classmates, record the data in a tally chart, and finally record the data in bar graphs.  Here is a sample from each table group:











Our next math unit will be on addition and subtraction.  Thanks to the new common core standards and pacing I will have a very large amount of time to work with the scholars on these essential skills before our next assessment.  Because of our new standards (which I am very happy about!) the focus is on conceptual understanding, not speed.  Timed tests are not considered essential for first grade anymore.  Understanding operations and number relationships is the main goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment