Monday, September 8, 2014

Reading Log

Many of you have asked me about homework.  I typically do not give the full amount of homework right away while the scholars are adjusting to being in first grade.  I do not want to overwhelm them.  Today we began our reading logs, which will be a daily assignment from now until the end of the year.  When I say daily, I mean Monday-Thursday nights.  I will collect the reading logs on Friday mornings.


The purpose of the reading log is to have the scholars reflect on the books they read at home.  They may choose whatever books they like (and are appropriate to their reading skills).  I have a HUGE variety of books in my classroom that they are welcome to borrow, and they may also read books from home or the library.  The important thing is that they are reading something that interests them.  I don't want reading to become a chore, I want my scholars to LOVE reading as much as I do.

After your child reads (for 15 minute or more) they will write about the book they read.  As the reading log shows, there are many different ways that they can write.  A summary, an opinion, a connection to another book.... I leave it up to your child.  You can refer to my posts from last year about the reading log if necessary.  What I want to stress is that I value quality over quantity.  I would rather your child write one GREAT sentence than 5 simple ones.  More words does not necessarily mean their writing is better.  With that said, if your child needs more room to write they are welcome to use a separate piece of paper and staple it to the reading log.  I've included a sample of a fantastic reading log completed by one of my scholars last year.  Please note the way that he chose different types of writing (summary, opinion) and showed his understanding of the different books he read.  This sample was from the end of the year last year, it is a good example of what your child can work towards as a goal:


Please see me if you have questions about the reading log and how to help your child!

No comments:

Post a Comment